1. Defrost frozen abalone in fridge overnight.
2. Wash and trim gai lan ready to be blanched.
3. Pour 1 litre of water in a pot to boil. Use a pot suitable for a steaming basket to be placed on top.
4. Open skin pack and pour remaining liquid within pack into the pot of water. Gently wipe off the sticky residue from abalone meat with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
5. Place 4 pieces of slithered, peeled ginger and 3 pieces of orange rind onto the top of each abalone, place in bamboo steamer.
6. Once water boiling, place bamboo steamer on pot, cover with lid for 6 minutes.
7. Remove steam basket and place gai lan into boiling water and turn off heat.
8. Place abalone meat onto chopping board, rub ginger and orange rind into the top of abalone before placing underneath the abalone for slicing.
9. Slice abalone meat vertically in 3mm – 4mm slices (not too thin).
10. Heat oyster or soy sauce in pan or microwave.
11. Drain gai lan before placing onto chopping board and slice into 30mm sections,
12. Serve gai lan on a dish all sections aligned, dress with heated oyster or soy sauce. Lay sliced abalone over gai lan and garnish with sliced ginger and orange rind.