1. Defrost frozen abalone in refrigerator overnight or place live abalone in an ice slurry for 15 minutes. Remove abalone meat from shell. Remove stomach from shell. Wash abalone shell in hot water ready to use as a serving dish. Gently wipe off the sticky residue from the abalone meat with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
2. Place the abalone (foot down) on a paper towel to prevent sliding when slicing. Thinly slice abalone meat horizontally or vertically into 2mm slices.
3. Heat oil in fry pan to very hot. Add sliced abalone and toss through oil.
4. Add cracked pepper and squeeze ¼ lemon over abalone. Toss again through oil – remove abalone after 1 minute.
5. Add lemon segments to garnish.